Monday, April 11, 2011

pretty yellow sundress

It was a gorgeous spring day as I walked west down Union Street through the historic district of Park Slope.  I was having one of those moments when you're perfectly aware of how nice a day it is and how lucky you are to be alive when I spied the cutest little girl on the side walk in front of me.  She was walking  toward me, with her parents, maybe a block away.  What caught my attention at that distance were her pretty yellow sundress and her exaggerated movements.  It seemed that she was also having one of those 'lucky to be alive' moments; spinning around, dancing with her hands over her head.  I mean, really feeling good!  From the cover of my sunglasses, I was careful not to let on that I was watching every second of her performance.  Her parents, holding hands and engaged in pleasant conversation, were no doubt used to her theatrics and appeared neither bothered nor entertained as she pranced in front, behind and all around them.  As we drew closer, I'd say within 10 paces, the little ball of life leapt forward in front of her parents, looking me squarely in the face with a HUGE smile.  Landing squarely on two feet with knees bent, she leaned forward slightly, hands on knees, holding my gaze all the while.  I was compelled to slow my pace as she had obviously captured my attention.  As I did, her two little hands grabbed the bottom of her pretty yellow sundress and, thrusting her hips forward, in one punctuated movement, whipped it strait up over over her head!  I had just been flashed by a 9 year old.  Her mother snatched her by the arm, whipping her around in a barrage of "what are you doing?"s & "what is wrong with you?"s.  By that time I had passed them, concealing one of the biggest smiles of my life.  As I walked farther along and the sounds of her mother's chides faded in the distance, I laughed aloud for at least a block at the moment that little girl and I just shared.  I guess she saw the same thing in me that I saw in her, but she felt like she should acknowledge it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment